Jul 21, 2019
In this episode, we jumped right in to a conversation that just spontaneously evolves.
* to the idea that the way we perceive the world is just that, the way WE SEE the world, not the world that is. We will talk about why Beau thinks this is.
* we see the world that is useful for us to see
* His third Ted Talk and how it feels to feel small but fundamentally connected to the world around you. He calls it “awe.”
* We evolve to be social. We would die if we were not.
* The fear of not knowing. To be in uncertainty is a bad thing to be because you increase the chance of dying. His lab looks at the adaptive experience of certain and uncertainty.
* When you watch people’s behavior, we create environments that are predictable. we walk the on the same side of the street, eat the same foods, and do the things that are pretty predictable.
* enough little hints, jump into the show now and listen to our conversation. i think ti will stimulate your thoughts and invite you to experience a new experience. i hope you enjoy it.
Dr. Beau Lotto is a neuroscientist and world-renowned expert in perception. His research explores the ways in which we experience the world through our own versions of reality. As Beau puts it, “the brain never sees the world as it actually is, only the world that is useful to see.” By illuminating these principles of perception he has helped individuals and companies transform their approach to creativity and innovation.
Beau is a three-time main stage TED speaker. He has spoken at the G8, Google’s Zeitgest, Wired, Oslo Freedom Forum, Big Thinkand contributed to the BBC, National Geographic, Netflix and PBS.
His company, The Lab of Misfits is an experiential research lab comprised of leading neuroscientists, artists and technologists whose mission is to understand why we perceive the world the way we do, and apply that understanding to enabling others to see differently.
Our perspective and process provide insight and value to brands, people, audiences and organizations.
Website 1: http://labofmisfits.com
Website 2: https://www.beaulotto.com
Amazon link to Beau’s book Deviate: https://www.amazon.com/Deviate-Science-Differently-Beau-Lotto-dp-0316300195/dp/0316300195/ref=mt_hardcover?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1563673030