Jun 24, 2020
Jonathan Augustin is a film Writer-Director-Producer born in Bombay and educated in Bournemouth. His debut feature film THE LIFT BOY released in theatres across India, UAE & Taiwan in 2019. The film was later acquired by Channel 4 UK. In April 2020, NETFLIX acquired the worldwide streaming rights.
What his Message to the World is: FAIL FORWARD with HOPE!
THE LIFT BOY on NETFLIX: https://www.netflix.com/title/81278142
THE LIFT BOY Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGDDIT4pTKE&t=2s
The film had its limited edition Indian theatrical release on 18th Jan 2019 with houseful shows. In addition, the film released theatrically in UAE on 18th April and in theatres across Taiwan on 2nd August 2019, successfully completing 3 Weeks in Taiwan. THE LIFT BOY was later acquired by Channel 4 UK. On 3rd April 2020, Netflix acquired the worldwide streaming rights.
Duration: 107 mins Year: 2019 Langue: English (70%) & Hindi (30%) with english subtitles throughout.
Censor Rating: U/A & PG-13
Insta: @theliftboy @jonathanaugustin Hashtag: #TheLiftBoy
Twitter: @JonathanChats @TheLiftBoy
Jonathan’s FB: https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.augustin2000
Jonathan Augustin bio link: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanaugustin/
what you will hear on this podcast:
- This is a different podcast from the format I usually do, but I consciously did it this way because I was so touched by the movie he made that I wanted The Lift Boy and how it was created to be the center of this podcast. I hope you love it.
- hear the story of The Lift Boy who inspired this story
- hear how the Lift Boys eyes and the words he said became the source of this movie
- stuck in a place he didn’t want to be, he left everything to take a risk and do something he had never done before, write a script and make a movie
- at 24 he made it, at 29 it went on Netflix
- for those of you who have always dreamed of doing something but the world has told you, you can’t, listen to this story
- what corrupts us from moving forward and what propels us forward
- the philosophy of fail forward
- the origin of the creative process
- how did the process of writing The Lift Boy come to him
- the importance of obsession
- what inspired him to make this movie
- the process of talking to the characters and listening to what they have to say
- the father son relationship
- seeing the blank page, and the anxiety that drives you forward
- a dive into the experience where writers block opens up
- ask yourself, why did I start this and other questions you can ask
- see the process of Walt Disney in the Netflix movie Walt Before Mickey
- what it means to Fail Forward?
- begin with the end in mind
- the experience of going through moments of self-doubt, anger and tears
- the trashman and getting it out
- every meeting gave me free feedback and the studio that finally said yes
- the office, the prestige and the nothing that happens
- buying his script back, setting up his own office and making it happen on his own
- when asking for help, be specific
- the nuggets that pack the creative process of telling the story of human life
- what would it take for you, the listener to find this passion
- how the relationships in his life entered into to the relationships of The Lift Boy
- the transformation that happened in him when he made The Lift Boy
- the reaction of his mother and his father to the release of his film.
- enjoying the few moments of success before the goalposts change
- anxiety, ambition and the desire to do something good
- making happiness a state of mind and one small deed of kindness